Since I am just an intern in the office, there are not too
much opportunities for me to show my leadership skills.
Fortunately, the trainer divided all interns of MCLEAPS
program into two groups to work on group projects. And she also asked us to
select a leader to track the project and report to her once a week.
For a group work, leadership is important and also difficult. Since
we are all full-time interns in different departments and working at different
buildings, even cities, it is not easy to get together to discuss the project.
The group chat and google doc became the best way for us to exchange ideas.
Thus, it is really hard for the leader to track everyone’s work progress.
I am the person who care the progress so badly. If someone
do not complete his/her portion on time, I will be very frustrated. According to some books, they divided leadership styles into several categories, such as
bureaucratic leadership, charismatic leadership, servant leadership and
transactional leadership. Each one has their own characteristics. Thus, I think I might be the bureaucratic
leader and always want to everyone follow the procedures. Once I was a leader
in a group, I tried my best to set several procedures for them and track the
process frequently. The result, as you can see, it was not good. The group
members felt I was so annoying.
So I believe every leadership style should not be isolated
and should be combined according to your and your group member’s need.
I am hungry now and need fried chicken right now. I may
continue this topic someday…..hah!
I can see how sometimes it might be irritating when other people do not do what they are supposed to. I think all of us have experienced that to some extent, maybe not in the work place but more like in school projects. I hope you get a leadership role in your internship soon, good luck!
ReplyDeleteI've found that framing my style around who I am working makes things go smoothly. Well, for the most part haha
ReplyDelete